Now onto Meeting Pete!
After having falsey contractions for a week or two, I had my 40 week appointment the day before Pete was born and was told I was just hanging out dilated at 3-4 cm. That's enough to make you crazy when you're getting anxious at the end. I figured it would keep going like this for weeks :) Finally on Friday morning, March 9, I started having pretty intense contractions that were much more painful than the ones I had previously. They were getting within about 3-5 minutes so we packed up our things and headed to the hospital at 4am. When we got there I was still at about 4-5 cm, but I was ready for the epidural. The pain was amazing, probably the worst I'd ever felt, much like people had described it! After leaving things to progress on their own for awhile, I was at 5-6 cm and not getting anywhere too quickly, so they decided to start Pitocin and break my water. It had been a long morning and I was finally at about 9-10cm and ready to start pushing around noon.
Me holding up a nine for 9cm dilated!
It was slightly traumatizing to be so 'out of it' for Pete's birth, and disappointing that I couldn't really hold or look at him right away. I also couldn't focus on much else than my own nausea and eventually the pain, when the anesthesia wore off later in the evening.
Luckily, after my pain was under control and the chaos of visitors died down, I was able to really bond with our new little baby, and finally felt like things were going to be okay. Definitely not how I pictured his birth going, but so grateful to God that we are all safe and sound. And now I can't remember before Pete was here! :)
Pete Wallace, born March 9, 2012 at 5:32pm.
What a crazy ride! You are a trooper for going through the before and after of his birth. I can just imagine. So thankful everything turned out okay for you guys.
ReplyDelete